In accordance with the Chronicle of Philanthropy’s annual list of top donations in the year 2020, Amazon’s Founder and CEO Jeff Bezos generated the single-largest charitable donation of $10 billion to encourage fight climate change. Putting aside Bezos’ donation, the tally of the remaining top 9 contributions last year comes to $2.6 billion – the lowest since 2011. The Chronicle’s annual orders are based on the ten most prominent publicly declared gifts. The list does not comprise contributions of artwork or incognito donations.
- Jeff Bezos gave $10 billion to launch the Bezos Earth Fund. The Amazon founder created the fund to support non-profits fighting climate change. Bezos also donated $100 million for Feeding America to aid food banks across the country.
2. Phil Knight
2. Nike co-founder Phil Knight and his wife, Penny, gave $900.7 million to their Knight Foundation and $200 million to the University of Oregon.
3. Fred Kummer, founder of construction company HBE Corporation, and his wife, June, gave $300 million to establish a foundation to support programs at the Missouri University of Science and Technology. (Image: edu)
4. Mark Zuckerberg
4. Mark Zuckerberg, founder of Facebook, and his wife, Priscilla Chan, made two contributions; $250 million in September and $100 million in October, both to the Center for Tech and Civic Life on voting security issues in the 2020 election. (Image: Reuters)
5. Arthur Blank, co-founder of Home Depot, gave $200 million through his foundation to Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta to build a new hospital.