Vitamin C is an essential part of the diet and our body can’t make it. It’s water-soluble and found in many fruits and vegetables; including oranges, strawberries, kiwi fruit, bell peppers, broccoli, spinach, and many more.
That’s why it’s commonly advised to get your vitamin C intake from foods but many people turn to supplements to meet their needs.
According to the office of dietary supplements, the daily amount of vitamin C for adults is:
- 90 milligrams for males
- 75 mg for females
- 85 mg when pregnant
- 120 mg when breastfeeding
- an additional 35 mg for people who smoke
(These amounts are approximate, not an exact amount you need to intake)
Why is Vitamin C Important for us?
As, we all know that vitamins play an important role in all the body tissues or our diet, whereas vitamin C also helps for building and maintaining different – different tissues in our body like,
- To maintain healthy bones
- To make skin healthy
- Build up our digestive tissues,
Also, Vitamin C helps:
- Make our immune system strong which helps to fight against viruses, bacteria, and so on. This helps to fight against illness.
- Lower the risk of some of the cancers
- Boosting heart health
- Prevent iron deficiency
Deficiency of Vitamin C
Somewhere, low levels of Vitamin C leads to the problem with our body working and can also lead to the problem to our immune system.
Deficiency of vitamin C can also result in SCURVY. And due to this, it may cause:
- Joint pain
- Anemia (lack of blood)
- Bleeding gums (blood coming from your tooth area)
- Problems with wound healing (when you hurt then your skin takes a very long time to get repair)
- Tooth loss
- Depression, and so on.
Vegetables that are rich in Vitamin C
- Red and Green Chili Peppers contains 64.7 mg of vitamin C,
- Bell Peppers has 190 mg of vitamin C
- Dark Green Leafy Vegetables has 134 mg of vitamin C
- Potatoes contain 42 mg of vitamin C
Fruits that are rich in Vitamin C
These are some of the fruits which are rich in vitamin C:
- Kiwi has 72 mg of vitamin C
- Bell pepper has 127.7 mg of vitamin C
- Guava has 125 mg of vitamin C
- Blackberries have 30 mg of vitamin C
- Papayahas 87 mg of vitamin C
- Lemons and Limes has 19 mg of vitamin C
- Strawberries have 97 mg of vitamin C
- Oranges have 112 mg of vitamin C
But Bell Peppers are the highest sources of Vitamin C. These are very high in nutrition and also have a good taste to eat. It helps to prevent pro heart diseases, cataracts, and blood clots so on.
As to get more amount of vitamins, always eat a variety of fresh raw fruits and vegetables. Because somewhere cooking kills or reduces the number of vitamins in fruits and vegetables.
According to my, all vitamins are important for our body to work properly or for doing daily activities. Whereas Vitamin C is also the basic requirements of our body, so that must be a part of our daily diet. So, we must have to intake those fresh fruits, vegetables, herbs that are rich in Vitamin C.
By stressing, smoking and burns Vitamin C amount get less in our body and due to that many problems can arise which have been explained above in my article. So to be safe from these problems, always try to get the proper amount of Vitamin C by intake of Vitamin C rich foods.
And, I’m hoping this article helps you to gain your knowledge and if it helps you then don’t forget to apply it in your daily life.