The United States is closely monitoring the India-China border position and an American media report recommended that China may have undergone heavy losses in the eastern Ladakh’s Galwan Valley and put the number of its fatalities at 35 claming an intelligence evaluation. The news media of US suggested that Chinese are taking the deaths as embarrassing and might be unwilling to declare, therefore, to confirm them for fear of encouraging other adversaries.
In the reported evaluation of US intelligence it was a stressful border meeting between military officers of both the sides to reduce the stress that turned intense. Most deaths were triggered by batons, knives or from falling off a stiff cliff. The precise data of this account of events could not be determined separately.
The state division indicated to an earlier declarations, when asked, a spokesperson had said: “We are carefully checking the situation between Indian and Chinese forces along the Line of Control. The Indian military has reported that 20 soldiers have died, and we offer our sympathetic to their families. Both India and China have stated a desire to reduce, and we support undisturbed solution for the current situation.”
Government sources on Tuesday said the Chinese side has experienced commensurate casualties but it does not have evident picture about the number of Chinese soldiers died as well as those harmed in the clash. Defence Minister Rajnath Singh reviewed the entire situation in eastern Ladakh with Chief of Defence Staff Gen Bipin Rawat and the three service chiefs on Wednesday.
Monday’s dispute was the biggest conflicts between the two militaries after their 1967 clashes in Nathu La in 1967 when India lost around 80 soldiers while over 300 Chinese soldiers were killed in the conflict. The state division had earlier knocked the boundaries anxieties as observation of Chinese violation going above the oratory and the House foreign affairs panel had accused the Chinese for as well. The External Affairs Ministry on Tuesday said the intence face-off between Indian and Chinese army in eastern Ladakh was the result of an attack by the Chinese to change without any consultation the status quo in the region.
The ministry said both sides experienced fatalities that could have been prevented had the agreement received earlier at the higher level been carefully followed by the Chinese side. President Trump had proposed to settle the dispute, saying in a tweet, “We have informed both India and China that the United States is ready, prepared and able to negotiate or arbitrate their now enraged border conflicts.” The offer was not accepted by both of them India and China and Trump has since not said more on this, snowed under as there is twin emergencies of the Covid-19 epidemic that has killed nearly 117,000 Americans and the civil unrest triggered by the killing of an Africa-American man by a white police officer.
Eliot Engel, the chairman of the House foreign affairs board, had said in a statement in early June. “China is demonstrating once again that it is willing to bully its neighbours rather than resolve conflicts according to international law.”