The National Institution for Transforming India, also known as Niti Aayog, changed into formed via a resolution of the Union Cabinet on January 1, 2015. Niti Aayog is the most reliable policy ‘Think Tank’ of the Government of India, providing both directional and coverage inputs. While designing strategic and long-time regulations and programs for the Government of India, Niti Aayog also offers relevant technical recommendation to the Centre and States.
NITI AAYOG is not a constitutional body nor a statutory body because it has never passed an act of parliament nor has been added anywhere in the constitution. Thus, it can be said that NITI AAYOG is neither a constitutional nor a statutory body. Yet, it has been passed by a resolution of the cabinet also called as “Executive Resolution”. The mere existence of NITI AAYOG is to help or assist the advisory to the government officials related to planning or think tank.
The term constitutional body is the one that derives its powers, functions, and other organizations from our Indian constitution. Hence, if the government makes NITI AAYOG a constitutional body it will ultimately come under the judicial review of the court of law, and the government that comes under the government itself is not bound to follow all the rules and directions given by NITI AAYOG. Whereas a statutory body is in the very existence of introducing the bill and pass and that later becomes an Act like NCBC commission was and now has been converted into a constitutional body.
The Government of India, in line with its reform agenda, constituted the Niti Aayog to update the Planning Commission instituted in 1950. This changed into completed so one can better serve the wishes and aspirations of the human beings of India. A crucial evolutionary alternate from the past, Niti Aayog acts because the vital platform of the Government of India to deliver States to behave together in countrywide interest, and fosters Cooperative Federalism.
The Governing Council of NITI, with The Prime Minister as its Chairman, contains Chief Ministers of all States and Lt. Governors of Union Territories (UTs).
On 7 June 2018, the Prime Minister approved the reconstitution of Niti Aayog to encompass Ex-officio contributors and unique invitees.
Present Composition of Niti Aayog
Shri Narendra Modi, Hon’ble Prime Minister Is the chairman of the Niti Aayog.
Dr. Rajiv Kumar is the vice-chairman of the Niti Aayog
Objectives of Niti Aayog
- To evolve a shared vision of countrywide improvement priorities, sectors, and techniques with the lively involvement of States.
- To improve cooperative federalism through established assist initiatives and mechanisms with the States on a continuous foundation, recognizing that strong States make a robust nation.
- To ensure, on regions which may be specifically cited, that the interest of countrywide safety is protected in financial method and coverage.
- To make sure, on regions which can be in particular cited it, that the interest of countrywide protection is covered in monetary technique and coverage.
- To pay special interest to the sections of our society that may be at risk for now not reaping rewards accurately from financial development.
- To design strategic and long term policy and program frameworks and initiatives, and display their progress and their efficacy. The instructions learned through tracking and feedback might be used for making innovative improvements, together with necessary mid-direction corrections.
- To offer recommendations and encourage partnerships among stakeholders and national and worldwide like-minded Think tanks, in addition to educational and policy studies establishments.
- To create expertise, innovation, and entrepreneurial support machine through a collaborative community of national and international professionals, practitioners, and different companions
- To provide a platform for the resolution of inter-sector and inter-departmental issues so that it will boost up the implementation of the development schedule.
- To preserve a trendy Resource Centre, be a repository of research on excellent governance and great practices in sustainable and equitable improvement, also, to help their dissemination to stake-holders.
- To actively monitor and examine the implementation of programs and tasks, inclusive of the identification of the wanted assets to be able to enhance the opportunity of fulfilment and scope of delivery
- To attention on generation up-gradation and potential building for implementation of programs and initiatives.
- To provide different activities as may be essential so one can further the execution of the countrywide improvement time table, and the other objectives referred to above.
Full-Time Members of Niti Aayog
- Shri V.K Saraswat
- Ramesh Chand
- V.K Paul
- Chief Executive Officer of NITI AAYOG
- Shri Amitabh Kant
- Shri Raj Nath Singh, Minister of Defence
- Shri Amit Shah, Minister of Home Affairs
- Nirmala Sitharaman, Minister of Finance and Minister of Corporate Affair.
- Shri Narendra Singh Tomar, Minister of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare; Minister of Rural Development; Minister of Panchayati Raj.
- Shri Nitin Jairam Gadkari, Minister of Road Transport and Highways; Minister of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises
- ShriThaawar Chand Gehlot, Minister of Social Justice and Empowerment.
- Shri Piyush Goyal, Minister of Railways; and Minister of Commerce and Industry
- Shri Rao Inderjit Singh, Minister of State (Independent Charge) of the Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation and Minister of State (Independent Charge) of Ministry of Planning.
Features of Niti Aayog
Niti Aayog is growing itself as a State-of-the-artwork Resource Centre, with the essential resources, expertise, and abilities, intending to permit it to act with speed, sell research and innovation, offer strategic coverage imaginative and prescient for the government, and address contingent troubles.
Niti Aayog’s entire series of activities may be divided into four primary heads:
- Design Policy & Programme Framework
- Foster Cooperative Federalism
- Monitoring & Evaluation
- Think Tank and Knowledge & Innovation Hub
The exceptional verticals of NITI offer the needful coordination and help framework for NITI to perform its mandate. The list of verticals is as underneath:
- Women & Child Development
- Governance & Research
- Skill Development & Employment
- Rural Development
- Sustainable Development Goals
- Managing Urbanization
- Financial Resources
- Natural Resources & Environment
- Science & Tech
- State Coordination & Decentralized Planning (SC&DP)
- Social Justice & Empowerment
- Land & Water Resources
- Data management & Analysis
- Public-Private Partnerships
- Project Appraisal and Management Division (PAMD)
- Development Monitoring and Evaluation Office
- National Institute of Labour Economics Research and Development (NILERD)
The Niti Aayog supports a federal cooperative shape in which each the Centre and the States prepare development regulations collectively. At the identical time, the Aayog also promotes healthy competition among developing states. The local councils’ recognition of improvement in sports in specific areas.
The establishment of Niti Aayog gave positive results but there may be a want to alternate and focus on areas of developing states.